Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thinking back...

.I've just had one of the most fulfilling conversations with a friend! This is just one of those friendships where I can just totally talk rubbish, where my gift of the gab just runs into overtime, without the fear of being judged. The comfort level is high and the repurcusions of the conversation are zero. It's fantastic! Some friendshps are just like that. I don't need to put on this guard, it's not about how I say what I do, its just about me saying what I feel. And the best part is this is reciprocal. I don't talk to this friend for months on end sometimes, and when we call each other the first reaction is just peals of laughter at our current condition of playing grown ups in this corporate world, when actually all we want to do is go back to our scraggy jeans and casual look and just hang out like we did before , with no more than a seconds worry for the future. Sadly enough, that "future" is now here!

So going back to friendships, its amazing to have people like this in my life, it gives me the sense of belonging, of just having people around, and that in itself in our high powered lives is a big thing these days. Just having people around when you need them. Thinking back to my days in junior college, those long drives (the initial excitement of learning to drive), hanging out, just driving around the city like petrol never mattered, those little suprises of birthday parties, 2am calls to winge about a broken relationship, little pranks to brighten up a dull day, bunking classes for just about no reason, covering up for each other, small gestures that have now turned into wonderful memories- these little things bring a smile to my face even today and I'm sure years later when I think back, I'll still have the same teenage smile and wicked smirk whenever these memories come back. Thats the beauty of this friendship.

I remember the pranks, every April Fools Day- It's a bit like a ritual between the group now. 1st April is literally incomplete for me unless I'm made a fool of, and though all our continent hopping around and fighting timezones, we still manage to get to each other somehow. It's the thought that binds such freindships, and yes we have different goals, we always have had different dreams, and it's amazing that we provide each other with the support to live our dreams. There hasnt been a single time I've felt alone to fight a problem with these guys around- they've slapped me out of painful relationships, lectured me out of mood swings, its the full clock works of a freindship...and am I lucky! Love them all!!

I distinctly recollect the day when my Std 12 results were declared. Everyone was hobnobbing around deciding what we would do now- I from my part had decided on pharmacy, the others had planned careers in medicine, engineering, accountancy, law and dentistry. We've all grown up since then. The sad part is, today we don't get the time we would have liked to spend with each other.We speak to answering machines and leave one line emails. But the bonds still here and it's definitely here to stay!

No comments: