Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Slack with Birthdays!

I'm getting slack with birthdays again! I mean I always was this forgetful person, when it came to important days like birthdays and anniversaries, not because they didn't mean much to me, but because for me everyday was just special. And then it hit me hard a few years ago, when I forgot one of my closest friends birthdays. It made me feel like crap, not that my friend said anything, it was just the feeling of his disappointment in me, that gave birth to my birthday/anniversary book! Yes, I went out and bought this fun birthday book, very colourful and compact, so I could carry it around in my bag. And I kept it with great faith. I opened it each day and everyone has got a wish since then on the correct day irrespective of the timezone. But lately, I've slacked again. Now I have the book in my bag, but forget to open it, I could say it's because of lack of time, but again, how bloody long does it take to open a book? Besides I don't think anyone would buy that because then they'll feel that I cant even remember their birthdays off hand how they remember mine! And it makes me feel so bad when I forget a birthday or an anniversary now...

On my birthday, I actually had people wake up or stay awake depriving their nights sleep so they could wish me on my special day. And it sure did make me feel special. The feeling of being loved and remembered makes all of us feel special. So why do I forget? When I was back home, my friends used to actually ring me and remind me to wish another friend. Some of them still do! But I just want all my friends to know that because I don't wish them does not mean I don't love them or remember them. Of course I do. And I believe birthdays is not be the only time we speak, so they should not feel bad. I would love to blame this forgetfulness on my work related stress, but unfortunately, they know I forgot birthdays before I started working and I will probably forget them in the future as well.

A few days ago, I was going through photo albums from my student days- from teenage schoolgirl pics to crazy junior college pics to professional college photographs to my living away from home pictures. And I felt so warmed. I had photographs with cake splattered all over my face, to little bunny ears on some photos above my head, to pictures in sarees on traditonal day in college, sightseeing in a different country. I realised how many people were part of my life. And the assortment of friendships that has shaped my present. I've lost some of them over the years- some due to my negligence - some because of the growing up factor, some who I've left behind in the race , some who've left me behind- but even today the majority of them are still a part of my present. We all need a link to our past and I think these little memories provide that link of belonging, of our growing up crazy years- of our living away from home adventures.

So today, I'm going to make a resolution- yes another one which I hope to keep- I am going to appreciate each and every person who is part of my life- I will remember birthdays and anniversaries and make that call on the correct day to wish them and make them feel special- because thats what they are- and I want them to reflect on these wishes a few years later with fondness and memories they can cherish forever- just like the memories they create for me....

No comments: